Thursday, June 26, 2008

Eulogy at a Funeral

It has been quite some time since I posted anything, and to be honest I do not know how many of you actually read this. I do get drips of feedback, as well as occasional comments, that make me think that these posts are on your radar. As all of you know, the last few weeks have been quite traumatic (to put it mildly) for me, and the decision to leave my current employer after almost 14 years has not been an easy one. I had got into this comfort zone, where in life was coasting by comfortably, and whenever I got into a state of despondency, all I had to do was to fool myself into believing that this was the sum total of my life's aspiration. Every time there was a possibility to make a change, I used to think up a hundred reasons why it would not work out.

However, as in all things in life, this stage had to end, even if a tad too late. Without meaning to sound pompous or arrogant, the announcement of my leaving did create a sense of shock in my organisation in Dubai. Before you start raising your eyebrows, and mentally writing me off as delusional, let me assure you that it is not because anyone thought I was indispensable. It is just that everyone, around me had grown to assume that I would never leave.

In the last few days as the news started to ripple out, colleagues, friends and family, started to give me feedback on my decision. I, of course expected (and wanted!) that, and my expectations were that most people would sort of hint at some sort of mental instability on my part to leave an MNC for a local organisation. I had mentally prepared myself for the bemused expressions reserved for those who are imminently tipping over into insanity. I was ready and did initially internally brace myself, whenever I brought up the topic. But to my surprise the reaction was universally positive. The most common feedback was - why not sooner?

What however, took me completely by surprise, was the emotional reactions that I got from quite a few of my fellow workers. I have been floored by the outpouring of affection and genuine sorrow to see me take this step. Numerous people told me about the role I played in their lives - both personal and professional, and their tears have driven me to tears too. I had hugely under-estimated what my friendship meant to so many of my colleagues. And the one thought that has been constant was - why now ? Why not let me know how they felt while I was here ? And then I turned the question inwards, and asked myself the same. Do I let the people who matter to me know the role they play in my life, and how much they mean to me? The answer is - Not Enough !! I have over the years cultivated this exterior of stoicism, which quite frankly sucks, and if nothing else, has probably been most instrumental in my getting similar reactions.

I know that a lot of the macho amongst you will think that one does not need to state the obvious, but I beg to differ. Why do we need to wait until someone is on the verge of stepping out of our lives, till we show them their worth? Where is it written that just going over and appreciating our friends or colleagues is taboo? It reminds me of this corporate excercise that I have done, wherein you are asked to write your own eulogy. Something that you would like your family or friends to use at your own funeral. The idea is to then use it as a blueprint to govern your behaviours and actions over time.

We do not need to wait for funerals to appreciate the people around us.

I cannot end this blog without thanking two very special guys who have helped and supported me on a huge personal journey over the last 4 to 5 years. Their protective influence enabled me to get into spheres that I would never, on my own have entered. Their friendship, guidance and counselling over this period, have made me a better person. They come from a nation that neighbours India, from a different culture, which is probably the reason why, though so akin we are so different. One is a colleague and the other is an ex-colleague, and if they read this blog, will know who I mean. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zubz,

First of all a BIG Thank You for sharing this with us. You really do have a flair for putting your thoughts down. The articles make some really good reading (though I must admit have not read all as yet) and does make me think a lot on some of the topics. I have tried to voice my opinions on the topics that I have read, but like I have mentioned earlier to you for some god foresaken reason, whenever I try to post a comment everything appears in Arabic, and I can't go ahead. I am guessing here that there might be others who may be experiencing similar difficulties and so cannot give you a feedback even if they actually are going through the blog and its contents. Your comment in 'Eulogy at a Funeral - to be honest I do not know how many of you actually read this. I do get drips of feedback, as well as occasional comments, that make me think that these posts are on your radar' are entirely true, it may just be that your readers may not be able to express their views through the blog like me.

I did like the write ups 'Eulogy at a Funeral' & 'Farewell to Old Friends' more than others as dwells around emotions and YES I certainly wouldn't want to wait for a day 10 years down the line or for that matter a day when one of us has to make a decision and maybe move on in life to say that you guys mean a whole lot to us aswell. We are always thankful that we have such good friends, who have always stood by us through thick and thin and that God intended for us to cross paths in this span we call 'life'.

I also liked 'To recommed or not, that is the Question' and I entirely agree with Tinaz's words. If you feel strongly about something for/of someone close to you, it is only natural that you should voice your opinion. That is very much what makes up good friends/relationships,.... taking and giving good advice. The reponsibilty of the consequences good or bad ofcourse lies only with the person making the decision; not the person who gave the advise. For instance Neysha and I have both often deliberated on your advice/thoughts you have given (me more than her) and have then made decisions which have been ours to take. And since we are on the topic let me tell you that we always look forward to it !! Thank You.

Keep putting yours thoughts down.........for some of us it is very thought provoking and sometimes even inspiring.

Cheers !!!

Nev.

Anonymous said...

Hi Zubz,

First of all a BIG Thank You for sharing this with us. You really do have a flair for putting your thoughts down. The articles make some really good reading (though I must admit have not read all as yet) and does make me think a lot on some of the topics. I have tried to voice my opinions on the topics that I have read, but like I have mentioned earlier to you for some god foresaken reason, whenever I try to post a comment everything appears in Arabic, and I can't go ahead. I am guessing here that there might be others who may be experiencing similar difficulties and so cannot give you a feedback even if they actually are going through the blog and its contents. Your comment in 'Eulogy at a Funeral - to be honest I do not know how many of you actually read this. I do get drips of feedback, as well as occasional comments, that make me think that these posts are on your radar' are entirely true, it may just be that your readers may not be able to express their views through the blog like me.

I did like the write ups 'Eulogy at a Funeral' & 'Farewell to Old Friends' more than others as dwells around emotions and YES I certainly wouldn't want to wait for a day 10 years down the line or for that matter a day when one of us has to make a decision and maybe move on in life to say that you guys mean a whole lot to us aswell. We are always thankful that we have such good friends, who have always stood by us through thick and thin and that God intended for us to cross paths in this span we call 'life'.

I also liked 'To recommed or not, that is the Question' and I entirely agree with Tinaz's words. If you feel strongly about something for/of someone close to you, it is only natural that you should voice your opinion. That is very much what makes up good friends/relationships,.... taking and giving good advice. The reponsibilty of the consequences good or bad ofcourse lies only with the person making the decision; not the person who gave the advise. For instance Neysha and I have both often deliberated on your advice/thoughts you have given (me more than her) and have then made decisions which have been ours to take. And since we are on the topic let me tell you that we always look forward to it !! Thank You.

Keep putting yours thoughts down.........for some of us it is very thought provoking and sometimes even inspiring.

Cheers !!!

Nev.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Zubin,
You might be surprised to note that I do make it a point to read all your articles and I must admit I do enjoy the contents.Your thoughts and views have influenced my life for over 20years,if not directly through my husband! As you are aware he uses you as his most trusted sound board and I wont be wrong in saying that your inputs have almost always influenced his final decisions(except probably when he had to decide on his life partner....or were you instumental in that as well?)
Anyways coming to the recent developements in your career,I am not surprised by the reaction of your colleagues, however you were at a crossroads in your life and you made a choice and I am sure there is no better judge than yourself, so here's hoping your next assignment will bring you all the challenges you are craving and the rewards you deserve.
Meanwhile keep us posted....love always G

Anonymous said...

On a lighter vein, one always showers praises on the person once they have departed this earth, because the dead cannot get up from the pathar( funeral pyre) and refute any claims made by the mortals. This reminds me of an old hindi play called" Kehne mein kya harz hai". Have a laugh and dont get very senti about leaving friends in your old job. live one day at a time and enjoy every moment of it. best wishes Bows.

Unknown said...

Hi Zubin

Sheena Ganesh from GP. Just remembered that you mentioned that u have started blogging when I saw an email from Yvonne to Shelley enquiring after her payment and asking after you, Ghassan and me(she referred to me as the budding actress).. But sad to know that you are leaving. Where to and when? Did not hear abt it as yet thru the Shell circle. Really enjoyed out short conversations till date and hope to keep in touch in future too. Meanwhile - let me know the how/what/where of your decision to move. Regards - Sheena

Zodspeaks said...

Hi Sheena, Great to hear from you, and completely agree with Yvonne's assessment of you as an actress. I will never forget how you made me sweat as an intransigent subordinate, even though it was just role play - ha ha.

I will be very much around in Dubai and will get in touch with you soon.