Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How about leaving your Footprints on my Beach?

Going through my blog, I realise that I have dawdled on a variety of topics ranging from children and education, to corporate life and traffic snarls. I have interspersed these, with updates about what has been happening in my life.


I remember writing my first blog, as a way to vent my frustrations (pathetic as seen in current light) about the management of a major corporation. I truly believed that I could do a better job and hence wanted to express myself through this forum. At the time the blog was not intended to be public, and I had kept my identity to myself, so that even if someone were to chance on it, they would not know who the author was.


It was only after I had written a few articles and shown them to my wife that we jointly decided that "I should come out of the closet" so to speak. It took a lot of courage to actually circulate them, because in the very act of asking someone to read them, was the implicit arrogance that they were worth reading. I still struggle with this, and though on the one hand I would love to see my site's "footfall" increase, somehow on the other I am loath to publicize my dithering’s.


Your stuff starts out being just for you……. but then it goes out. Once you know what the story is and get it right - as right as you can, anyway - it belongs to anyone who wants to read it. Or criticize it.
- Stephen King


This site allows me to track page-views, to see what has been viewed and how often. To my surprise the articles that relate to my personal experiences have had the highest number of "hits". I guess people who know me, relate to them more than to the other perspectives that I have published.


I do think however, that some of my ignored op-eds were more interesting than my personal experiences. It takes some effort to come up with an issue to write about, and then articulate an argument around it. Obviously it gets easier if it is something that you feel strongly about, and funnily enough because you feel strongly, you would love to hear others agree or disagree with your view.


So I come to this conundrum as to, whether to bare-all in this forum which might interest people more, or to continue voicing my opinion. Should I adopt the Big Brother format for my blogs where-in I write about the trivia in my life, or should I try and adopt a more intellectual pose? My blog viewing history tells me that the former would be more successful, as most of you care not one fig about my views - and rightly so!

Over the last few months I have condensed each blog, tried desperately to hit a more humorous vein, and inserted pictures and cartoons to alleviate the tedium of text.


To conclude, even though I know how many times a blog has been viewed, I have no idea of the demographic, and hence it gets difficult to get the balance as regards relevance. In some cases I can guess who the reader is, and in very few I get comments. I really appreciate your comments, because whether you agree with my view or not, it means that you have taken the time and effort to read through, and there is no greater compliment than that.

So on my part I will try to make my blogs as readable, brief and enjoyable as I can, to make sure that you visit more often. On your part please do leave your comments (footprints) as and when you can, but better still - please keep reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zubs,
keep expressing your thoughts thru this forum....
I still have to come across a blog which I havent read or liked coming from you...
cheers
Viraf

Zodspeaks said...

Thanks Viraf for your comment and most of all for continuing to read.