Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Music can really take us back - can't it?


I generally drive with my radio preset to a particular channel and as is quite the norm there is more talk and less music. The songs played are of the new(er) artists, and hence it is not often that I get to hear any of my childhood favorites. Well anyway, recently as I was driving back home from work the RJ played a song that immediately struck a chord. It was a peppy number that we used to dance to when we were in our Tweens.
 
That song transported me back to my days in Junior college (or High School if you are American), and the friends, the parties and of course the incidents that defined that age for me. Music has a tremendous ability to take us back in time. And as with all such memories, they come to me in flashes. I cannot speak for you, but for me these flashbacks are not a contiguous story line, but snapshots of incidents which were either hilarious at the time, or simply embarrassing! These memories stand independent of precedent and conclusion, like a picture in an album, devoid of context.
 
This particular song transported me back to the age of impromptu dance parties that we used to have. There were no air conditioners, and the ceiling fans would try desperately to dissipate the heat generated by a gaggle of teenagers, swinging and rocking to music. It took me back to a particular party immediately after our High School final exams. All of us were elated at the conclusion of an obviously traumatic school examination, and that got manifest in our zest on the dance floor. Our exuberance obviously got us all carried away – as we sang (lustily and out of tune) and danced in as ungainly a manner as is humanly possible.
 
We were sweating profusely in cramped quarters, being very careful to avoid contact with any furniture. I distinctly recall this friend (even by our inferior standards not the most graceful) going particularly wild on a song, his knees and elbows splaying in all directions. And I recollect him - in the heat of the moment, in the buzz of excitement and exhilaration - running his forefinger across his forehead to wipe away the sweat dripping on to his glasses, and then neatly flicking it onto a girl dancing next to him. The party came to a grinding halt as the stunned girl screamed, hyperventilated and almost passed out from shock. I remember all us boys doubling over with laughter, holding our stomachs and rolling on the floor, and a short while later, the girls in a show of solidarity, staging a walk out from the party. The party was a flop, but we guys would break out with laughter for years afterwards just talking about it.
 
Thinking about parties got me to reflect on how we all looked at that gawky age. I was a nerdy boy at best, not exceptionally bright and with two left feet. In my teens I was as clumsy as they came, and was fortunate to have a few friends who were even worse. Due to a sudden growth spurt, their bodies had not yet adapted to their height and reach, whereas my clumsiness was all me. It had nothing to do with sudden growth, as I grew gradually till it just sort of petered off. Like bulls in a china shop, we trod obliviously through life, thankfully bereft of the knowledge of our limitations.
 
The economic pressures of a lower middle class existence in those days meant that my wardrobe was severely limited. I remember the trend of bell-bottom trousers that took Bombay by storm, and how stylish some of the kids wearing those, looked. I so desperately wanted a pair, but perceptive of our financial situation knew that there was no point in asking my parents for them. Eventually when it was apparent that my only pair of full length trousers, which had been altered a number of times (at the waist and bottom), were struggling to cover my girth and the top of my ankles, my mother acquiesced to new ones. As I was still captivated by flared trousers, I insisted and the tailor grudgingly, and with a lot of head shaking, agreed to stich one for me. I had been so fixated on getting flared trousers, I had not realised that the fashion had quite moved on.
 
You should have seen my joy as I wore them over the next few days. The pant-material was dark (but cheap), and changed colors in the light. I can now only imagine the sorry sight - flared bell-bottoms worn with the standard issue Bata flip flops. Gauche, tasteless and completely out of fashion! Unfortunately, none of my friends had the nerve or the desire to disillusion me, and allowed me to traipse around like this. Anyway a week later we were browsing (like only penniless boys can) on the streets of Colaba, when we bumped into a gaggle of girls from our colony. Now these were not the tom-boys that we hung out with occasionally. These were the more upmarket, more snobbish lot, with an eye on fashion and trends. One of them took a look at my bell bottoms (shimmering in the light and fluttering in the breeze), and exclaimed loudly that they were the most ghastly trousers she had ever seen. Being quite a fashion doyen, she 'correctly' pointed out that flares had been out of fashion for a few years now, and why on earth did I get a psychedelic colour? All the other girls in the group started laughing and as my friends joined in, I wanted the earth to open and swallow me then and there. I was so deeply embarrassed that I could not wait to get home, and out of those pants.
 
That was the last time I wore those trousers (they were eventually recycled into even ghastlier shorts.)
 
As easily as I was transported to pleasant memories, I got back to present reality with a thud. Memories and nostalgia can bring a smile on your face, but as often as not, can also make your toes curl up with the embarrassment one has gone through.

No comments: