Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Where has all the body hair gone?


There has been a recent phenomenon, and I wonder whether you have even noticed it? Men have lost their body hair!
 
To me, it is almost as if I blinked, and the world of men changed radically. When 'did' all the men in the world become hairless? It is as if suddenly all over the world, evolution took a giant step in the midst of one generation, and men lost their hair. This seems to me more apparent in the twenty-something’s. Go to the beach and from afar one cannot make out between the sexes anymore. Glossy smooth skin is on display everywhere, completely devoid of hair.
 
If you see men in adverts, music videos or movies, they are all hairless. Their torso, legs, back, armpits and (I am sure other unmentionables) are all devoid of follicles. Strangely enough the same applies in India, home to the hairiest people on Earth. Walking the streets of Bombay one sees enough evidence all-around, of men with hairy arms and legs, dense moustaches and scraggy beards. But adverts and movies seem to ignore this lot. Movie stars prance around bare-chested and without hair. Hairless male models preen in front of the camera, again sending the message that to be hairless is cool ...
 
Gone are the days when macho men walked the earth - with their shirt open to the waist and tufts of chest hair proudly on display. Large whiskers, beards, and Elvis-style sideburns all have disappeared. Actually the modern macho man is completely bald! My son, who like most boys his age, does get influenced a lot by trends and 'lists' thinks that bald men look tough. I politely ask him how long he thinks any of them could last in the sun, or the cold, without a hat?
 
As a man, this is an important question. I still seem to have the same amount of hair all over (actually an increase on my eyebrows and ears) with the only exception being a dramatic decrease on my head. I cannot help wondering whether my family tree has missed a big evolutionary leap. I never considered myself as particularly hairy, but on the beach I often feel like an Austin Powers type throwback!  
 
A couple of days ago I had an “aha” moment. We were watching the original 'Die Hard' movie – you know the one with Bruce Willis. There are a few scenes where he is running around in the building without a shirt, and his chest hair was pretty evident. There was no embarrassment, no hunching of the shoulders to cover his chest and hide his chest-hair with his hands. (I wonder how long he would have lasted with the bad guys if he did that.) He was proudly displaying it – proclaiming to the whole world that here is a man, and that a man and body hair is a package deal. I will have to see the sequels to check whether the later versions will show him as more ‘evolved’.
 
Anyway coming back to hairless bodies I can think of only two reasons for this. It is either evolution or grooming. Evolution (even on steroids) cannot work this fast and hence it has got to be grooming. I struggle to think that men would be spending time grooming themselves to remove body hair all over to become smooth and silky. This is metrosexualism stretched to its limits, with the clear winners being the Philips and Braun Men Care Divisions.
 
I know that today’s youth put a lot of emphasis on looks – and use of lotions, gels, face washes and creams among the teens is growing, but this is a step too far. Growing up, we had a word for guys who indulged their looks a bit too much, and these boys would not have lasted long on the playground. We used to call them – PANSIES!

No comments: